Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It felt my life ended for just a small moment...

I opened her door just before leaving the house to work to wake her up for her "breakfast date".  He was picking her up at about 8:30 a.m..  I then headed out the door to work with only work on my mind.

At work a co-worker answered the phone, took the call then hung up to promptly say that there was a shooting at the Carson City IHOP.  I rationally thought to myself .... oh there was probably a shooting in the parking lot and maybe it was gang related.  My co-worker answered the phone again a few minutes later (or so it seemed) and then promptly hung up to say that at least 8 people had been shot.  At that moment I shockingly remembered my daughter was going on a breakfast date and realized that they would have gone to IHOP, cause that is where they always go, morning and night, its cheap and open really late.  I felt like the oxygen was being sucked out of my body and my stomach felt like I had swallowed a piece of concrete.  I calmly tried to call her cell phone with no answer, then tried to text her with no answer.  I tried to call again and text over and over......with no response.  I started to panic.  As I'm trying to contact her the reports are getting worse and worse. 1 person dead, then 2 people dead, then 3 people dead.....aaagghh OMG I am freaking out so bad at this point trying to rationalize not running out of the building and driving like a fucking maniac to Carson City to see if they were there.

After what seemed like forever (which was about 30 minutes) I decided to call my neighbor who I never talk to and only have her number in case of an emergency to ask her if my daughter's car was in front of the house.  She said it was.  Ok, the boy probably drove. I instructed my neighbor to ring the door bell incessantly until she answered.  So she did, she rang it like the crazy woman she is !!  FINALLY my daughter came to the door....they had just gotten back from breakfast !   **exhaling**

My daughter immediately called me at work and when I answered the phone to hear her voice it was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard in my life !!  She said that they changed their mind at the last minute to go to breakfast at Katie's, a local restaurant, so they would not have to make two round trips when they both had to go to work that afternoon.

I know god works in mysterious ways.  I swear I saw my life flash before my eyes.

And the tears started.  I couldn't help it !!

No comments:

Post a Comment